Saturday, February 12, 2011

B&W Photography Workshop

I am delighted to announce an upcoming workshop I'll be conducting on black and white photography. It will be held on Saturday, Feb. 26th, 1:30pm to 3:30 pm at Belnavis Art Gallery & Custom Framing in Springfield, VA.

Geared to beginners and those with an intermediate-level understanding of photography, this will be a 2-1/2 hour class on the "art" of fine-art black and white photography. My hope is to convey the difference between taking "snapshots" and creating images of lasting value; how to "see" the world in black and white (and all the tones in between!); offer tips on how to "find" B&W images (and how to "look" as a photographer in general); how to use basic design principles to "focus" a viewer's attention; and how to take your photography to the next level (beyond "point and shoot").

As (what I hope is ;-) an added inducement to attend, I am offering the first 10 people who sign-up for the workshop - free of charge - signed copies of a portfolio / booklet I won in the British B&W Magazine's book contest a few years back, along with issue #76 of Lenswork magazine (that contains 16 exhibit-quality duotoned reprints of my Micro Worlds portfolio). Please email Michelle, the owner of Belnavis Arts, if you'd like to attend.

Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I lived closer. Its a long commute from SC.

Dominique Vangheel said...

Nice and informative blog. I liked it.

Unknown said...

Andy, I was delighted with your black and white photography course. Thank you! It was more than I expected, explaining how to develop an artistic vision, and how to transform that vision into a work of art that will touch others. Your course will be a touchstone as I attempt to evolve my craft beyond what you call 'snapshots.' I appreciate your willingness to share your diverse insights, and highly recommend your course to anyone who would like to produce fine art photographs, from wedding, commercial, or portrait photographers interested in taking their work to the next level, to enthusiasts who would like to further understand this world and to concisely express that understanding in an object of outstanding beauty.